Thu, Feb 07, 2013: Confronting a Nuclear Age: Toward Nuclear Disarmament| (0) Add comment
Join us for a free public lecture at 3-5pm on February 7th, 2013 in Room 044 (east end of the building in the basement) at University College, 15 King’s College Circle, Toronto, ON by:
Vinay Jindal and Barbara Birkett
Toward Nuclear Disarmament
History of efforts and campaigns to eliminate the threat of nuclear war.
• Jonathan Granoff, International humanitarian law and nuclear weapons: Irreconcilable differences. Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, Nov2011, Vol. 67 Issue 6, p53-6210p; DOI: 10.1177/0096340211426360
• Lawrence J. Korb.; Rothman, Alexander, No first use: The way to contain nuclear war in South Asia. Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, Mar2012, Vol. 68 Issue 2, p34-429p; DOI: 10.1177/0096340212438385
• Metta Spencer, The Russian Quest for Peace and Democracy (Lanham, Maryland: Lexington, 2010) Ch 6 and 7.
• Lawrence Wittner, Confronting the Bomb: A Short History of the World Disarmament Movement (Stanford: Stanford University Press, 2009).
• Douglas Roche, How We Stopped Loving the Bomb (Toronto: Lorimer, 2011).
• International Committee of the Red Cross and Red Crescent, “Working towards the elimination of nuclear weapons,” http://www.icrc.org/eng/resources/documents/report/nuclear-background-document-2011-11-26.htm
This lecture is part of the series Confronting a Nuclear Age which is co-sponsored by University College Health Studies Programme, Canadian Pugwash Group, Science for Peace and Voice of Women for Peace.
I graduated from Medical School at the University of Toronto and completed my Family Practice Residency at McGill University. I practiced as a Family Physician in Scarborough, Ontario, for over 10 years. In 2006, I closed my practice and joined Médecins Sans Frontières to work on a project in northern Myanmar (Burma) as a Medical Supervisor focusing on HIV/AIDS, TB and malaria. I am currently active with the Médecins Sans Frontières Association as well as local and national peace groups including Physicians for Global Survival.
Dr Barbara Birkett is a past Board member of Physicians for Global Survival, and in 1999-2000 was President of PGS.