Thu, Jan 17, 2013: Confronting a Nuclear Age: The Atom and the Bomb - the discovery of fission and the development of nuclear weapons| (0) Add comment
Join us for a free public lecture at 3-5pm on January 17th, 2013 in Room 044 (east end of the building in the basement) at University College, 15 King’s College Circle, Toronto, ON by:
Anna Jaikaran and Martha Goodings
The Atom and the Bomb – the discovery of fission and the development of nuclear weapons
Scientists who invented the atomic bomb under the Manhattan Project included Robert Oppenheimer, Leo Szilard, James Franck, Enrico Fermi, Klaus Fuchs and Edward Teller. The medical effects of nuclear weapon blasts, fire-storms, radiation
• Wikipedia, “History of Nuclear Weapons”:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_nuclear_weapons
• Outline History of Nuclear Energy, http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/inf54.html
• Nuclear science time line http://www.aboutnuclear.org/view.cgi?fC=History,Time_Line
• The Manhattan Project http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Usa/Med/Med.html
• Nuclear Age Peace Foundation, “History of Nuclear Weapons,” http://www.nuclearfiles.org/menu/key-issues/nuclear-weapons/history/pre-cold-war/manhattan-project/
This lecture is part of the series Confronting a Nuclear Age which is co-sponsored by University College Health Studies Programme, Canadian Pugwash Group, Science for Peace and Voice of Women for Peace.
Anna Jaikaran is a past board member of Science for Peace and an active member of the Canadian Network to Abolish Nuclear Weapons , she
Martha Goodings is a Toronto-based peace activist.