Thu, Mar 07, 2013: Can We Be Free of Nuclear Weapons and Still Have Nuclear Power?| Comments (1) Add comment
Video from the event: http://youtu.be/AdwrEucO2UA
Join us for a free public lecture at 7-9pm on March 7th, 2013 in Room 1105 of the Sanford Fleming Building 10 King’s College Road, Toronto, ON by:
Can We Be Free of Nuclear Weapons and Still Have Nuclear Power?
Gordon Edwards was born in Canada in 1940, and graduated from the University of Toronto in 1961 with a gold medal in Mathematics and Physics and a Woodrow Wilson Fellowship. In 1972, he obtained a Ph.D. in Mathematics from Queen’s University.
From 1970 to 1974, he was the editor of Survival magazine and in 1975 he co-founded the Canadian Coalition for Nuclear Responsibility, and has been its president since 1978. Edwards has worked widely as a consultant on nuclear issues and has been qualified as a nuclear expert by courts in Canada and elsewhere.
Dr. Edwards has written articles and reports on radiation standards, radioactive wastes, uranium mining, nuclear proliferation, the economics of nuclear power, non-nuclear energy strategies. He has been featured on radio and television programs including David Suzuki’s The Nature of Things, Pierre Berton’s The Great Debate, and many others. He has worked as consultant for governmental bodies such as the Auditor General of Canada, the Select Committee on Ontario Hydro Affairs, and the Ontario Royal Commission on Electric Power Planning. In 2006, Edwards received the Nuclear-Free Future Award. He is a teacher of mathematics at Vanier College in Montreal.
• Gordon Edwards, “Fueling the Nuclear Arms Race and How to Stop It.” http://www.ccnr.org/non_prolif.html
• Gordon Edwards, “The Peaceful Atom Goes to War” http://www.ccnr.org/Peaceful_Atom.html
iCAN, “Nuclear weapons and nuclear power,“ http://www.icanw.org/weapons_power
• Melanie Kirkpatrick, “Why we don’t want a nuclear-free world: The Former defense secretary on the U.S. deterrent and the terrorist threat.” Wall Street Journal http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124726489588925407.html
• Nuclear Power and Nuclear Weapons: What’s the Connection?” http://www.boell.org/downloads/PPT-Slides_Sokolski_Nuclear_Weapons_Proliferation-Energy_Security-and_Carbon_Emission_Reduction.pdf
• Theodore B. Taylor, “Nuclear Power and Nuclear Weapons,” Nuclear Age Peace Foundation. http://www.wagingpeace.org/articles/1996/07/00_taylor_nuclear-power.htm
About this lecture series
Click here for the Vital Discussions of Human Security poster
Click here for videos from previous lectures
This lecture is part of the series Confronting a Nuclear Age and the Vital Discussions of Human Security series which are both co-sponsored by University College Health Studies Programme, Canadian Pugwash Group, Science for Peace and Voice of Women for Peace.